Sunday, September 04, 2005

Ready for Prime Time

We had a full dress-rehearsal this weekend and it went much better than the run-through I tried last month. For starters, I actually finished it this time, so that was a big deal. Yay. I also managed to find a good balance with drinking fluids. You want to drink enough to stay hydrated and keep energy in your system, but not so much that you have to... well, you know... go make tinkle.

I had heard many times that you're going to feel light-headed running out of the ocean, so I was very careful not to move too quickly back to the transition area. I walked a brisk pace - didn't jog - thinking all the time "OK, head feels good... not dizzy... just keep an easy pace." I made it to my home base, relieved that "a-ha! I've beaten the dizziness!" Until I bent down to pick up my sneakers. Woah. All of a sudden the parking lot started spinning like crazy. I had to just plop down on my butt and sit there for a few seconds to get my bearings again. What a rush.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something that I do to "train for the dizziness" is to practice in the pool!

When you're on your last set (especially if it's a longer set - 200 or 500 yards). Finish the set, turn around, take off your goggles and "run" to the other side of the pool. No fear of falling and it gets you used to having to function on some level after swimming (think twice about doing this in a SCAQ workout).

That and a red bull in the transition area!

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Annie Shimamoto very wisely pointed out, I left something out of the above message.

You should "run" through the water. As any lifeguard will tell you, do not run in a pool area (unless of course, somebody has released alligators, sharks, piranhas or other toothy non-human friendly creatures in the pool area - at that point, all bets are off & it's every man for himself).

1:41 PM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

Listen to Annie for she is wise. And remind me never to go swimming in your pool: alligators and sharks and piranhas oh my!

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's cute too ...

12:26 PM  
Blogger NuttinButGlutton said...

....apparently quite modest and humble too.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't hate the player, Greg - hate the game.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home