Wednesday, November 02, 2005

What's Next?

Like so many other triathletes (tee-hee-hee... I'm a triathlete), the week after Malibu my head was filled with big plans. I was gonna do the Long Beach Pajama Run, the Stair Climb to the Top in downtown L.A., and the Catalina Tri. And that would just bring me to November. I knew I'd have to change my training routine a bit, but instead of swimming, biking and running I tried watching TV, eating and sleeping. Although I made great gains (5 pounds) it just wasn't working. Needless to say I haven't done any events.

Some people think exercise is its own reward, or do it for the health benefits, to look better, whatever. I don't buy it. I need a purpose. Without a specific event to train for, I'm completely lost and I'll just stay in bed. So I've decided I'm going to target the Los Angeles Marathon in March. To be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to make it. I know what you're thinking "You shouldn't be such a defeatest! You must think positive! Visualize yourself finishing!" Those Jedi-Hippie mind tricks don't work on me. I'm a realist. I've hurt myself running before, I may hurt myself again. It's winter, it will be cold and dark, and filled with delicious holiday chocolates. All of these are anti-marathon forces.

I'd like to do a half-marathon along the way, and there will be some other triathlons as well. The next triathlon level will be an "Olympic Distance" which is 1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run. I'll hopefully find one of those to do as well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Toby said...

My technique is to enter and pay the $$ as soon as I've determined I want to do it. That way I almost always follow through! I never train as much as I would like, but I nearly always make it to the finish line one way or another!!!

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home