Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Half-Assed Marathon

I'm signed up to do the Orange County Half Marathon this weekend and ya know what? I just don't want to do it.

The first problem is that I don't like the way it's laid out; it's a one-way course, so you have to wait in line at the finish for a shuttle bus to take you back to your car at the start. That's just gonna suck.

Second, this will be the first time I have not practiced a race. I've never run 13 miles. With my first 5k, 10k, and even the triathlon I had always completed at a dress rehearsal at least once. I have no reason to believe I can't do the half-marathon, but I'm neurotic. I won't have a problem with stamina because in the worst-case scenario I can always walk the last mile, or 2 miles, or 5 miles. I AM worried about injuries (pulling a tendon, snapping a shin).

I think the biggest issue is that I'm just mentally tired. For the past 6 weeks or so I have spent every weekend stressing about Christmas shopping (I was still in the stores all 3 days of the extended New Years weekend) and travelling to London. I would love to have a weekend where I didn't have to worry about anything. But now I have to get up extra early Sunday morning to drive an hour to do a stupid run.

I suppose it all serves a greater good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Recovering Alumni said...

Who says you have to do it? Listen to your body if its telling you to stay home. Don't start the year burned out!

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, it ain't going to be fun for you, skip it.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home