Friday, May 19, 2006

Follow the leader

Remember back in 4th grade... whenever your class needed to go someplace, the teacher assigned a Line Leader. There really was no need for a "leader"; everybody knew exactly where the cafeteria was. Yet it was an important responsibility. You were going to make sure that all 47 of your classmates (public school) would make it to the playground.

Well last week I was asked to be a leader for one of our bike groups. Me! A leader! I was very excited about it. My responsibilities basically entailed telling people "turn here" and "don't turn there". As far as I know, everyone in my group made it back safely. But then I never got a full count so who knows. Maybe there are still a few stragglers out there. Doesn't matter; the coyotes will deal with them. The important thing is that I got to be Line Leader for a day.

Some of the people there may have been wondering why I was wearing an ankle-high sport sock on my left foot, and a mid-calf sock on my right foot. Did my right leg need extra support because of an injury? No. Did the sock somehow prevent scrapes from the gears and chain on that side of bike? No. The truth is, I change in the car while driving to the park and simply forgot to switch out that sock.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, at least you remembered your socks, and more importantly... your bike!

As emulation is the sincerest form of flattery, I can't wait to see how many of your riders show up next week with mismatched socks to be cool ;-)

1:30 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Great to be a bike leader..

haha the socks..hey it happens :0

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home