Saturday, June 17, 2006

Huff...Puff...

I'm gonna kill Gerald.

Gerald is one of our Tri-Team leaders, and this morning he put together a slightly more advanced bike workout for us. First he had us do our regular 8-mile L.A. River bike-trail ride, then he had us do it again as a "time trial", meaning we were to supposed to do it as fast as we could. It was 90-95 degrees, so I don't think any of us really went at it 100% but we still stretched ourselves with it. After that, he not only took us to meet Mister Griffith, he took us even higher to meet Mister Griffith's Dad who lives on a place nicknamed "Trash Hill". The name might come the condition of the road, which is completely torn up in some places, but I think it refers more to the fact that it trashes your legs. I rode up the hill with Gerald and Stupid Cool David Ono. (David Ono is one of the local ABC news reporters. He's "stupid" because at my triathlon last weekend I watched him finish his third bike loop just as I was finishing my second; he's "cool" because today he was, well, cool.)

Gerald and David certainly weren't going all out climbing the hill, but I still didn't feel like I was holding them up or anything so that was good. Overall, it was a 27-mile ride which is the farthest I've ever rode on this bike, and I felt tired but good when it was over. Unfortunately, I didn't do any stretching or soaking afterwards, and now my legs are feeling pretty tight. By the time Monday rolls around and I see Gerald, I'll forget about the soreness and thank him for the great workout he gave us. But if I were to see him again today, I'd kill him. Unless it involved getting off the couch.

(It really wasn't that bad. I'll get some Mountain Dew, I'll be fine.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

Sounds like a tough hill to ride. But if you keep riding it you'll find it gets easier over time!

Keep at it!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

Don't worry, in three days you will forget and sign up for another, tougher ride.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Griffith and trash hill _after_ river time trials? I hope at least you didn't have that headwind on the river. I remember the last time I chased the Ironman guys (Gerald, et al). They were kind enough to take a few extra refreshment stops while I caught up. What's awesome is whenever I'm on a ride with those guys (ok, behind those guys, heh), I _always_ learn something new.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home