Thursday, June 15, 2006

Three Days

Regardless of what length race I've done, there has always been one constant: during the race, at some point I will say to myself "Never again. This is the limit to how far I can go, and I don't WANT to try to do something longer." That's how I felt at my first 5k, my first 10k, first tri, 1/2 marathon, marathon, and last week's first Olympic Tri. In each case I was tired, and sore, and mentally bored, and just wanted it to be over with. Also in each case, it takes about 3 days before I become an idiot and forget about the pain and start thinking "hmmm... maybe I could do THIS." This is a dangerous cycle that needs to be stopped.

8 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

So what are you going to do?

5:43 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Don't stop it...embrace it. Then race it.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ironman Arizona 07 awaits!

11:58 PM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

It's a mental disorder. I have it too. Maybe we can start a support group, or at least get some sort of government handout (we'd need an official sounding name).

I was asked by a doctor to run 1.5 miles a couple times a week to monitor pulmonary function. That turned into run 6.5 miles four times a week, and then a half-marathon. Since I'd done the half, a marathon only made sense.

Then some knucklehead 8th graders figured marathons were no longer challenging, so I should do a triathlon. Somehow, that has rapidly gone from "can't swim" to sprint distance to "why not do the Olympic tri in August, rather than the sprint?"

When you find help, send it my way, too.

7:06 AM  
Blogger S. Baboo said...

I agree with Stephen, embrace it, race it.

If you are troubled by the 3 day thing I have something for you. I ran a 38.5 mile ultramarathon this past January 15th and it has taken me about 3 months to consider doing another though at this point I'm thinking 50K instead of bumping it up to 50 miles.

And, as theseamonster says, IMAZ 07...it's still open and I'll be there.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

I'm looking at half-irons for 2007. There are a bunch of other fun races I want to do next year so I'm not even considering going for a full iron.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home