Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Good deed for the day

I went for a bike ride in Griffith Park today. About halfway through I stopped back at my car for a fuel break. A guy came up to me and asked if I had an extra Gu (energy packet); his running partner wasn't feeling well because of the heat and she needed to get some nutrients back in her. I was happy to give them a Gu and an extra Gatorade I had (warm, unfortunately). I offered to drive them back to their car but they said they didn't have much farther to go and they would be fine just walking it.

A little while later, I was still on my bike and they happened to drive past me. They waved and gave a "thanks again" shout out. Their rear license plate holder said "Swim. Bike. Run." and they had a USAT sticker on the rear window. Maybe I'm a snob, but for some reason I felt happier that I helped out a triathlete rather than "just a runner".

2 Comments:

Blogger Iron Pol said...

On every training trip and at every race, I carry extra fuel. Whether it's the occassional Gu (which I buy by two boxes at a time) or liguids, I try to have extra. In fact, at races, I usually have enough Gu to BE an aid station.

Same with spare tubes and CO2 cartridges. The times I've needed help, it would have been nice if someone happened by with the needed items. The cost of a bit of assistance can prevent much greater costs.

That kind of stuff comes back around.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, since I'm "just a runner" I'll be sure not to ask you for any help.

Snob!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home