Monday, July 10, 2006

Keeping your head focused on your goals

One of my biggest goals for any race is to get the Perfect Race Photo. I've been tweaking things here and there, and I think my photos have improved. Getting rid of the knee braces was obviously a big help (not that I could afford to race without them at first.) I worked on my posing, trying to look determined without looking too staged, or just going for the full smile. And I added a hat to cover up my follicly challenged head.

Ever-supportive Travis saw some photos and told me I shouldn't wear the hat because I don't have the jawline for it. He says I have no chin and so the hat just makes my head look big. Ouch. But by crikey he's right. I figure I'd rather have a big head that looks like it might have hair on it, as opposed to exposing the rising hairline. So the hat stays.

Coach Stupid Dutch had a cap with him the other day and I tried it on. Travis said that it didn't look bad on me, and was trying to figure out why this hat worked and mine didn't. Being the fashion gurus they are, the two of them determined that I don't "roll" the visors on my caps. They're right. My hats have wide, flat visors on them which of course makes the hat look much larger. No jawline could compensate for that. Apparently you are supposed to roll up the cardboard to give the visor a nice curve to it. I've started rolling up my race visor and it should be ready for New York next week.

6 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

And if anyone should happen to recognize you at this weekend's race just remember - don't call her Habeela.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

If you want a hat with a curved bill, you can have my Nike running hat. I've put that thing under the foot of my bed for 24 hours, and as soon as I take it out, it curves right back up. And I'm not talking minor arc here, I'm talking nearly 180 degrees roll.

Oh yeah, a good secret is to get a feel for where the race photographers hang out so that you can ensure you are in proper position. Sometimes, that involves beating a few racers down, but you can just pretend it's the swim start.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

...it's all about lookin good. In fact, I told my friend (he is my photographer)I would run the finish line back and fourth a few tiems to MAKE SURE he got a good pic of me ;D..

8:09 AM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Of course, sports photographers should have some special training and pointers, eg., don't take pictures when athletes are fidddling with watches, or walking their bike up a hill, or adjusting themselves, etc.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Good luck in New York! When in doubt wear the hat backwards. It makes it look like you are going super fast. So fast, that the hat won't stay on when facing forward.

-Paul

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sport the Mercury Astronaut haircut so it looks like my balding head is on purpose. I like a hat for keeping the sunscreen-laced sweat from going into my eyes--boy does that burn. I was using a visor for a while, but I just got a Zoot dri-fit running cap. I'll prolly look like a train engineer in any pics this weekend, but at least my head will be cool :-)

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home