Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Runners are winners too!

It seems that a ruffled a few feathers yesterday when I posted the phrase "just a runner", implying that runners weren't as good as triathletes. I'm certainly not one to offend, so allow me to explain myself. I am fully aware that there are people out there who are too uncoordinated to ride a bicycle or who are too afraid to go into the water, and that's just fine. I think it's great that these people are able to look beyond their handicaps and go walking very quickly from time to time. And as triathletes, I think it's important that we don't think of runners as being lazy simply because they only train 3 or 4 times a week. Indeed, on their days off I'm sure they are very busy: perhaps they are working on their needlepoint. Or attending their Stamp Collector Club meetings. I don't know what they do while we're fighting the ocean currents but I'm sure runners get off the couch at some point.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because runners are lesser athletes, that doesn't necessarily make them lesser people. I hope that clears things up.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, if you want to be a gear whore for three sports who am I to say no?

I don't recall ever spending $100 learning how to tie my shoes...

See you in November,

Just A Runner

10:17 PM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

Sadly enough, as a triathlete I DON'T tie my shoes. We're obsessed with quick transition times so I use tie-less laces. Just slip them on and go.

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would that be to speed up your third or fourth transition?

5:44 AM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

Whew, I'm glad you cleared all that up, Mr. P. As a former "just a runner" trying to overcome my obsession with running 70 miles a week, I know how offended some might have gotten. Of course, Dean Karnazes, who is running a marathon a day for 50 days (one in each state), might wonder what you are doing with that extra day's rest.

But seriously, I read the statement twice, and decided that the easiest way to say someone participates in the sport of running only is to say they are "just a runner." Just like saying a non-IM triathlete is "just a sprint triathlete."

6:29 AM  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Runners are not lesser human beings. They may, however, be somewhat more limited in scope, and therefore more boring than triathletes....

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that clears up the question as to whether deep down you were going to be "marathon guy" or "triathlon guy".

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, nancytoby, I was just starting to like you...

PS keep up the good work on Lanterne Rouge.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home