Monday, October 09, 2006

10 Events I Want To Do

10. Liberty to Liberty Triathlon
Swim from the Statue of Liberty, bike across New Jersey, run to the Liberty Bell.

9. Stair Climb to the Top
Los Angeles is probably the only major city in the world without a true public observation deck. The only way to get a birds-eye view of downtown L.A. is to climb the 75 stories of steps during this YMCA fundraiser. (Of course, New York's Empire State Building Stair Climb is the King of these events.)

8. Rosarito Ensenada Bike Ride
50-miles of Margaritas.

7. Escape from Alcatraz
There are sharks in the water. No, that's just a myth. No, it's true. Swimming from Alcatraz Island to shore with the Golden Gate Bridge as a backdrop in what may-or-may-not be shark-infested waters: how cool is that?!

6. Lavaman
It's an Olympic Distance Triathlon in Hawaii. Coolest...Name...Evar...

5. Wildflower
It's the Woodstock of Triathlons. I don't like Woodstock, I don't like camping, I don't like big dirty crowds. Yet this is the hippest triathlon around and with the right group of people could be a lot of fun.

4. Walt Disney World Marathon
This one you do for the medal- it's shaped like Mickey Mouse Ears.

3. Barcelona Marathon
I think it would be a lot of fun to be the foreigner at a race, and I love Barcelona. It's a great way to see the city.

2. Running With The Bulls in Pamplona
It may only be a 1/2 mile race, but it's potentially the most dangerous and exciting of them all.

1. Kona
This is one of the things I LOVE about triathlon. I'll never qualify for the world championships, but some year I may get lucky and get one of the few lottery slots reserved for average people (not that anyone who attempts an Ironman is average.) Starting next year, I will throw my name into the hat. I will let The Island decide when I should come.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Ooh, good list! Let's see, I've done Disney, and I'm not doing any stair climb... and sharks.... that would be way cool. Some day.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

If you take the time to go to Florida for a race, you might as well do Goofy's Race-and-a-half.

Half marathon on Saturday, yielding you a cool Donald Duck medal.

Full marathon on Sunday, yielding the classic Mickey Mouse medal.

Being goofy enough to run two races in two days gets you the Goofy medal.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Excellent list...but regarding #10...you may be one of few people on Earth who would actually PAY to swim in the Hudson River!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

Actually, I already have paid to swim in the Hudson:
http://neoprenewedgie.blogspot.com/2006/07/new-york-city-triathlon-race-report.html

2:25 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Very cool and inspiring. I should put my own list together. Well, it already exists (in my mind) so mebbie I should blog it.

The Bulls will not be on mine. I'm not that crazy. :) I've seen the videos of the dude getting gored and trampled! But you get the big up in my book for it.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Mister P.,
You are a braver and bolder man than I for conquering the Hudson!

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home