Thursday, October 19, 2006

Resistance is Futile

In the Star Trek Universe, the Borg are dangerous aliens far more advanced than humans. Humanity is nearly defenseless against them and avoid confrontation at all costs. You would think that the Borg fear nothing, yet even they are completely overpowered by Species 8274. Last night I engaged the Borg and Species 8274 in battle.

Yes I, a human, went running with Tri Team Teacher Gerald (Borg) and Tri Team Jon (Species 8274). (Gerald fears Jon workouts the way I fear Gerald workouts. Well, maybe he doesn't quiver in terror the way I do.) IronAndre was there (some sort of Klingon Hybrid) as was Tri Team Tim, a Vulcan. During the run the Vulcan said "it is illogical to continue running with these people" and turned around. Smart move.

This was my very first hill run in Griffith Park. As the Borg explained it to me, "remember when we visited Mr. Griffith on our bikes? Tonight we're going to see his evil, ugly, red-headed step-son." We climbed the same hill we do on our bike rides, but we ran on much-steeper trails and my sneakers don't have a granny gear. This is the 7-mile course elevation (vertical scale may be slightly exaggerated):


The Borg promised me that there would be great views from the top of the hill. Oh, let's call it what it is: from the top of the MOUNTAIN. And maybe he was right. The thing is, I think nice views should be appreciated in a lounge chair while sipping a Pina Colada. Not quite the same when wheezing from oxygen deprivation.

It was tough, no question. But I confess I feel pretty good about it. Maybe being assimilated won't be so bad after all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Iron Pol said...

Ummm, hey Mr. Numbers Man, where are my Y-Axis details. You know, little things like numbers...

I will say that it LOOKS frightening. Oddly, I'm one who isn't so bothered by up. It is down that tends to mess my legs up. I've been working on my downhill form, though not from cliffs.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

Why mess up a good story with real facts and data? (The elevation change is a bit over 400 feet.)

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what part of Griffith has that hill? Is it the hill going up near the entrance of the Traveltown Train museum area?

2:00 PM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

Yes, the hill starts by Travel Town. Here's an approximation of the course:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=500892

There is a dip in the elevation graph right before mile 4, but that was a data point error on my part which I corrected when I posted the map.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

How can there be a good view when you are on top of the clouds?? :)

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home