Sunday, October 08, 2006

Who wears short shorts?

I'm not sure, but I think I prefer running in my tri-shorts over my baggy jogging shorts. I don't know why. They are a bit warmer, but you never see marathoners wearing spandex. It may be purely psychological; maybe in my subconcious I associate the shorts with the brick workouts on the tri-team and I feel like I'm taking my workouts more seriously when I put on the uniform.

I asked three hardcore-tri teammates if they knew of any physiological advantages of wearing one type of short over the other. They all said the same thing:

"Don't worry about fashion. Go with whatever is more comfortable."
"I don't care how I look. I just go with what feels right."
"Ignore fashion. Wear your personal preference."

I wasn't thinking at all about how I would look in the marathon next month. But the fact that all 3 of them told me not to worry about it, now I'm suddenly worried. I've only been doing triathlons for a year; have I already forgotten how ridiculous we look in our shorts? I know that after 3 hours or so, I'll be so miserable that I won't care if I'm wearing bell-bottoms. I just need to figure out how I want to look in the race photos.

3 Comments:

Blogger Iron Pol said...

Anything more than a few miles and I'm wearing running shorts. I will probably wear my tri-suit for the full half-IM I do next year. For the IM, I would switch to discipline specific clothing.

In a marathon, it's light and loose fitting.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

What if ur thing is to wear nothing? :)

I do enjoy the tri shorts. Tight and fitting. Not flapping around.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home