Thursday, November 02, 2006

Those who don't learn from history...

Today was my final training run, and on paper it is the Best Workout Evar: run 2 miles. That's it. You're not supposed to do any more. The entire purpose is to make sure that blood is still flowing through your legs. It should be the least stressful run of the year. I drive home from work through Griffith Park every day- all I need to do is pull over, hop out of the car and I'm back in less than 20 minutes. I don't need to worry about water or fuel, or running with Scary People who will make me go fast. I don't even need to worry about my nip guards.

Back in March, for my final Marathon Training Run I went to Griffith Park and discovered I accidently packed my bike shorts and had to drive home to get my running shorts. And the way the freeways work that time of night, it's much easier to drive FROM Griffith than it is to drive TO the park. So that was a big pain. Tonight however, I did not pack my bike shorts. In fact, I didn't pack any shorts at all. So yet again, I had to drive home, pick up some shorts, and then head back to the park. I was seriously considering just running the 2 miles in my skivvies, but good taste prevailed.

It's not the end of the world having to go home to get changed. It's just that twice now I have really looked forward to a smooth, leisurely, stress-free final run. And twice now I have been denied.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

I have to admit, I *hate* it when that happens! Dooh!

Good luck on your race -- I'm sure that you'll do fantastically (is that a word?) and look forward to reading all about it in a race report.

Cheers!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Good luck Mister P.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

Just wondering. Is the world outside your front door really that scary?

Whether 2, 12, or 20 miles, most of my runs start and end at my front door.

Now swimming, that's entirely another story. And it's usually work clothes that are forgotten.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

I tried running from my doorstep. The cement sidewalks killed my shins (there is lots of traffic and no bike lanes). Plus I have trouble running more than 100 yards without hitting a traffic light. So yes, it really is that scary running from home.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home