Wednesday, December 13, 2006

2006: Year in Review

Wow. Did 2006 really happen? On January 1st, I posted a list of things I wanted to do in 2006. Let's look back at the list:

1. Complete a Half Marathon.
I did the Orange County Half and the Pacific Shoreline Half. If you're looking for a SoCal event, I much prefered the OC.

2. Do a Marathon
I did the Los Angeles Marathon. It left me very empty and with lots of bad joojoo, but I did it. And then, much to my own surprise, I wound up doing another 26.2 this year, the Santa Clarita Marathon. It was a much happier day.

3. Do an Olympic Triathlon
I was targeting (and completed) the New York City Triathlon. I started getting a little nervous during my training, so at the last minute I threw in a "trial" olympic distance tri, The Bonelli Tri Series. The Bonelli event was the race where I went through T1 three times, came in dead last in my age group and almost at the bottom overall. And had one of my most fun races ever.

4. Run a 22-minute 5k.
Didn't happen. Originally I had planned on working on my short-distance pace after the marathon was over. But I hadn't planned on doing a second marathon so I kept working on distance stuff and never worked on my sprints. And I'm totally OK with that.

5. Volunteer at an event.
It took me a while, but I finally helped out with the City of Angels Half Marathon. If you haven't volunteered before, do it.

6. Hit X% bodyfat.
OK, I admit I had no idea what I was thinking. I kind of thought bodyfat was like water retention; you'd burn off lots of it during a big day (like on a marathon) and then could get an artificially low reading. I thought I could dip down to 10% (as measured by my inaccurate yet consistent Omron Bodyfat Analyzer) for a day. Nope. Turns out, to lower your bodyfat percentage you need to add muscle AND stop eating chocolate. And all the running can only burn off so many Hershey's Miniatures. Still, I went from 18% down to 14% which is an improvement. (OK, so I'm back up a little higher now. Shoot me.)

All in all, I have to say it's been a pretty productive year.

8 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Bravo! Well done!!

Especially good part about volunteering!!

4:47 AM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

Sounds like you hit all the major items, and doubled most of them. Awesome year.

I did a 5K training run, this morning. Just over 21 minutes. I don't recommend it. Aim for 25. Less pain involved.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Sounds like a very productive year to me.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great year you've had. Whoo. Now you're encouraging me to set some specific running goals of my own. I don't know if I'll run a marathon again, but I think I have a half in me.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I didn't meet ANY of my goals for 2006. The best I hope for it to have fun trying!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

You need to do what I do, geekgirl. I didn't set goals. I listed "things I wanted to do." Much less potential for failure that way.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

You should be proud of such an accomplished year! Kudos on meeting almost every single goal and being happy about the one's you didn't quite make. I hope I do as well for my goals in 2007!!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

You should learn from Homer Simpson, I think he said "Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." Just kidding. Good work on great year Mister P. What's in store for 2007 outside of Wildflower?

-Paul

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home