Sunday, January 21, 2007

1/3 Ironman

Well, I hit another milestone... yesterday I did a 112-mile bike ride with IronmAnnie. The World's Greatest Triathlete (TWGT) joined us for a few loops, and by coincidence we also ran into Tri Team Tracie and Tri Team Todd.

We did four 28-mile loops along the San Gabriel river and they all kind of blur together. I think I recall the 1st and 3rd outbound loops being very difficult because of the headwind, but the 3rd return loop was (literally) a breeze. I don't know. I just remember being sore around mile 50 and thinking I wasn't even halfway done.

TWGT skipped loop 3 to run some errands and I asked him to bring me back a Snicker bar. When we met up with him again 2 hours later, he handed me not the small Snickers, not the normal Snickers, but the mongo, King-Sized quarter-pound Snickers. Oh boy it was the yummy. That definitely bought me a few extra miles. Forget Powerbars, just stick with the fat and sugar.

We were kind of fighting the daylight on the last loop. We probably beat total darkness by about 10 minutes, but we did make it. We celebrated our victory with sparkling grape cider in exclusive "Ironman 112" glasses.




I realized that this is the farthest I will ever ride my bike; there is no good reason to ride more than 112 miles. Of course, you may argue there's no good reason to ride 112 miles in the first place, but it's a little late for that now, isn't it?

6 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

Well done. Nice glasses.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

There is no good reason to NOT ride less than 112.

I give you props for riding in loops. The max I can handle is three loops. I just don't think I can count higher than 3 :)

10:52 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Righteous!

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good heavens Mr. P, you are a biking fiend!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

That's a huge leg up on where my training on the bike is, right now. Of course, it's like 2 degrees with six inches of fresh snow, here.

And watch what you say. There was probably a time in your life when you said, "Why would anyone ever run 26.2 miles?" Or, like I have said, "You swim, bike, and run HOW far?"

And now, swimming 2.5 miles to get ready for an event seems to make sense. And I found myself saying, "I'm only doing 2000, this morning."

6:06 AM  
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

There's never a BAD reason to ride 112 mles! Way to go!!!!

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home