Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I'm a Whore

Triathletes have a reputation for being Gear Whores. They love getting new wetsuits, and GPS watches, and every possible contraption that will fit on the bike. In all honesty, I think I've refrained from such behavior. I certainly ramped up quickly when I first started doing tris, but since then I really haven't spent a lot on new gear. For me, my obsession is magazines.

I LOVE getting magazines. And every time I register for a race, I can either "click here for 6 free trial issues of AdPacked Magazine!" or there is a table at Registration handing out free subscriptions. Some magazines I did have to pay for, but most of them are free (up until the time I forget to cancel, and then I am conveniently billed $19.95.)

My current triathlon-related subscriptions:
Triathlete
Inside Triathlon
Runner's World
Running Times
Swimmer's World
Bicycling
Velo News
Outside
Men's Health
Fitness (it's a women's magazine, I didn't know what it was, it was free, I clicked "YES")

I'm sure I'll add another one or two at my next event. If I'm missing something, let me know and MAYBE I'll order it, but mostly I just go for the freebies.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friggin' huge stack of magazines as well that I try and sort through. I think up caught up to September '06 now. The best tip I received was to go through each new magazine with an X-Acto knife and slice out the articles of interest and stick them in a folder. That folder goes in the briefcase/messenger bag and is pulled out while waiting at the DMV, airport, etc. Very productive, but also somewhat sacrilegious.

hak

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hak - I do the same thing - except not so delicately - I just rip out the pages. But otherwise I would be drowning in magazines. I still need to go through most of 2006.......tammy

10:36 AM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

Dude, you might have a problem. I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express, last night.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Neoprene Wedgie,

Thanks for yoru comment in my blog...

reading this post give me ideas.. :)...free magazine u say :D

7:28 PM  
Blogger momo said...

oh, i can relate. although ours are not all sport related and they happen to be the by-product of the fact that my kids go to a school where every year there is a magazine fund raiser. my stack is in the bathroom. :-) i try to get through a few a week, but they just keep piling up!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Every Sunday, Mighty M turns to me and says, "Hey, sweetie, why don't we head over to Borders and get you a maggie?"

And I pant like a puppy being offered a cookie.

It's embarassing, but I'm a mag junkie.

Jun. Kie.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Man. We don't get FREE subscriptions at races here. I feel deprived.

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home