Sunday, April 29, 2007

Less of a man, more of a triathlete



From the Too Much Information Department:

I am finally a real triathlete; I shaved my legs. I can't fully explain why I did it, it was just something I was curious about because all the Cool Kids do it and it was pretty much now or never. I figured that If I shaved my legs my tri-friends wouldn't care, but at some point my non-tri-peeps would notice and it would be hard to explain. I figure that Wildflower is a shave-worthy event, so I can just make up some story about it being a Wildflower Tradition or something like that.

I do have some advice for newbies who are thinking about shaving for the first time:

1. You are hairier than you think. You might believe that your legs aren't really that hairy; they are. You might think that the large plastic bag on the floor will surely catch all the hair you shave off; you're wrong.

2. Sharp new razor blades will cut your skin very cleanly. So cleanly that the nicks won't start bleeding for several minutes. The trick is to shave slowly enough to be careful, but quickly enough so that by the time the first blood appears you're already finished. Once you see blood you won't want to continue, so you just wait and see where else you start leaking.

3. If you are built like a 14-year old, after shaving you will look like a 12-year old.

4. How high up your legs you go is up to you; the weird part is how far DOWN you have to go. If you shave your legs, you have to shave your feet or you'll look like a Hobbit. (Somebody else first made that analogy, but I can now confirm it.)

For more advice, check out Stewie:

How not to shave (900k Quicktime Movie)

I saw a lot of shaved legs at Ironman Arizona but the funny thing is my legs don't look like that. Maybe if I wax...

10 Comments:

Blogger hak said...

The first time I shaved my legs my girlfriend (now my wife) laughed her ass off. She said I looked like I had chicken legs from the meat department...white, dimpled skin.

It's a weird feeling.

The one thing I have learned is to use an electric beard trimmer to knock down the leg hair to near stubble. Saves lots of clogged razors. Once you're at stubble, it's far easier to take care of the rest with a razor.

Oh yeah, and get some sun on those legs. Looks much better with a tan.

My humble two cents with plenty of change to spare.

hak

8:23 AM  
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Thanks for the advice. I'll be trying this out shortly too. Give us an update in a day or two about any other "issues" with the shave.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

I did some tri-blog research and did the same technique John used: electric first, then a Gillette Mach 5.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Veet or Nair (Veet smells slightly better) in combination with the scrapper technique (use an old credit card or something to remove the cream) works well for some guys (there a post somewhere on my blog about it from last summer). Especially the bikini kit apparently. This is second hand knowledge though. Oh and don't forget to use a "lather enhancer" (aka a shower puff) to avoid nasty ingrown hairs on the thighs.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

A REAL man would wax. Bwahahahah. Seriously, though - dipilatory creme is hard to use on course hair, and can be hard on skin if you leave it on long enough to eat up the hair; and don't ever put it on a sunburn. OUCH

3:23 PM  
Blogger TRI Vortex said...

For the really hairy, try starting the process with clippers to get the most of it off. Then go to razor. What I found is painless and contrary to what you may believe...actually works. Epil stop from those As Seen On TV ads. My "sister" bought it to try it out and I was the test subject. Worked perfectly, just spray it on, wait 5-9 minutes (depends on when you feel it start to burn) and wipe it off with a warm wet towel. And WALA!!! No Hair!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great blog...found my way here from Paul's.

I agree with Tri Vortex. The first time go with the electric clippers and then the shaving goes a lot easier.

Oh ya, my wife laughed her ass off the first time, too. But it sure makes getting that wetsuit off in transition a whole lot easier.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

I'm trying Amy's suggestion regarding the "lather enhancer." Depending on the overall results, I just might love her.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

donald was cracking wise about my hairy legs on saturday, so reading this was very timely. not that i'd ACTUALLY shave. i mean, the one minute time bonus at the most is totally negated by the constant itching that i'd have to face...

i saw your tent on saturday...wish i'd stopped by to say hello. i had no idea that you're in los angeles!

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WAX, WAX, WAX... Yes it's a little painful. But you only have to do it about 1 once a month instead of twice a week.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home