Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Sinking Feeling

For Wildflower, I am most worried about the swim. I can walk my bike up a hill if I have to. I can walk several miles of the run if I have to. But I can't stop swimming, and I've never swum more than a mile before. I'm not worried about drowning, I just hate the thought of going 3/4 mile and then treading water for a while to rest up.

The local 24 Hour Fitness has a pool, and I signed up for a free two-week membership hoping that the pool would be longer than the pool at my condo, so I could do more distance with fewer laps. (it's only slightly longer.) I am not a morning person, but I struggled to get up a 7:00 to get my laps in. (After work I need to do bike rides and/or runs which can eat up a lot of time.) I made it to the gym by 7:30. Perfect. I think it's annoying that you have to climb 3 flights of stairs to get to the check-in desk, but so be it. (Yes, I see the hypocrisy: complaining about stairs on way to exercise.) I got changed, went to the pool and saw the sign: CLOSED FOR MAINTAINENCE.

They're not sure when it will be open again. Maybe a day, maybe later this week. The only reason I signed up for the membership was to try the pool. I could have just done the laps at home or, more importantly, SLEPT LATER.

And why does a place called "24 Hour Fitness" close at 11:00, 8:00 on weekends? I don't think they'll be getting my business.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's my gym and I was at the pool Wednesday morning. I was done and showered by 7am, but i swear there were still people in the pool when I left. Oh, yeah, and I usually take the elevator to the check-in desk.....

tammy

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're at the Glendale 24HR fitness, you'll be swimming in Amernian soup. I've gotten into a number of collisions because guys would come into my lane without telling me and I was in mid-lap. Then they'd bitch about it. That pool is absolutely filthy and overchlorinated to compensate. I now use a different pool which is better lit, cleaner, and won't burn your lungs and skin with bleach burns. It's gross when you look down and see bandaids, pubes, and detritus on the bottom... ew. It's a disgusting pool!!!

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home