Monday, June 25, 2007

Game On



I am now officially an Ironman-In-Training; I registered for Ironman Coeur d'Alene. I'm already a little bummed about it. I thought CDA (I still haven't learned how to spell it without looking it up) was held "the last weekend in June" which would be just before my 40th birthday and it would be a great way to celebrate. Instead, it's held "the 4th weekend in June". Next year June has 5 Sundays, so CDA is June 23rd. That's not my birthday week. Doesn't count.

I will have to refine my goals as my training progresses, but right now I'd like to finish in 15 hours. I'm worried that if I finish too quickly it won't be dark outside and I won't get any of the glow sticks they give out during the marathon.

I tried the online "Triathlon Time and Pace Calculator". I know, I know, we shouldn't listen to those things. But according to the internet, which is never wrong, I can expect to complete a full Ironman in 17:44:46. Pity the race closes at 17:00:00.


Notes for next year: Today I weigh 152.5 lbs and am at 14.0% bodyfat according to my "inaccurate yet we obsess over them anyway" Omron analyzer. I have no idea if i will gain weight or lose weight over the next 52 weeks.

13 Comments:

Blogger Spokane Al said...

I will be there with you at CDA 2008. You raise a good point about those glow sticks - I think I would like some of those as well.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Born To Endure said...

Congrats..and..i've been in the glowstick parade many times..it's great..:-))

1:38 PM  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

You can get glowsticks in the dollar store, you know?

But enjoy the journey as well as the destination! From all accounts it's a beautiful place for a race!!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Andre said...

I see a little bit of Sandbagging already.... 15 hours? you can do way better then that!
Iradoman

2:59 PM  
Blogger rocketpants said...

Congrats...it'll be great to watch your journey to ironman.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

DooD! We'll be there. Sweet Baboo is all signed up, and I'm going to make some sort of cheerleader outfit.
Today's word: nyzlk

3:55 AM  
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Ouch, that is a pity. But congrats on signing up!!!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

At least u get glow sticks ;)..

u are crazy...welcome :)

7:45 PM  
Blogger William Lobdell said...

you'll effing rock the course, baby! congratulations!

8:58 PM  
Blogger TRI Vortex said...

Your still doing an IronMan. Sweet deal Mikie. "Who's the big winner...Mikie's the big winner." If you want a training partner just give me a ring...for a slow day.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

I fully expected to complete my first IM in something like 16 hours (2 hour swim, 5:30 marathon, balance on the bike). Now, I'm trying to figure out if 12 hours is too big a stretch.

You'll see vast improvements if you take the training seriously. Consider a 30-day swim session, and you'll see huge gains in the swim.

And if you don't lose weight, you're either a horse when it comes to eating, or your training plan is way lighter than mine. I can't believe the food it takes to NOT lose weight.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Way to Go! I'll be watching this one with excitement. It's prey hard to not lose weight on IM training. You have to eat a lot, waaaay more than normal and you wonder where it goes..

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! Now I get to refer to you as one of the "crazy Ironman guys" that we train with :-)

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home