Saturday, March 15, 2008

Girls will be Girls

I went running on the treadmill in the community gym in my condo today. It's usually pretty empty in there, but after a while 3 girls came in and one of them got on the treadmill next to mine. She asked me "What are you doing in the gym? You're already skinny." I just smiled and said "this is how I stay skinny."

There were 2 problems with what she said: first of all, telling a guy that he's "skinny" is not a compliment. Secondly, she was about 11 years old. But the way I figure, by the time I'm 50 she'll be looking pretty fine...

The good news is that I was able to do 3 miles on the treadmill without any knee pain. (I did 45 minutes on the bike trainer last night, with very slight pressure on the knee.) The bad news is that I pulled something in my back. I think I was so concerned about stretching out my legs properly that I ignored my back, and since I haven't run in over a week something didn't pull right. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel sad for the 11 yr old who is already "working out" because she doesn't want to be fat. When I was 11, I was rollerskating, running, playing basketball, swimming, boogie boarding, etc., all the while screaming, laughing and never once worrying about my weight. that's what high school is for. :-)

5:42 PM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

Ah, don't worry about her. She wasn't working out. The three of them were jumping on all the equipment and playing on the treadmill 2 at a time. (I had to caution them about it being dangerous to do that.)

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no. You had to be the finger wagging old guy? That's worse than being "skinny".

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home