Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Tattoo

Let's talk about The Tattoo. I want one. I keep hearing people say things like "why would anyone pay to have a corporate logo permanently put on their body?" Those people are morons.

The first thing to figure out is the design. I love it when people do really creative tattoos, but since I have trouble making decisions I don't want to open that can of worms. I'm thinking I'll just go with the simple M-Dot. Originally I was thinking I would go with Ironman Red, but now I'm leaning more towards Coeur d'Alene green with a blue border.

The next question is where to place the tattoo. If I survive 140.6 miles, I want the world to know and I think I should put the tattoo right smack in the middle of my forehead. There's certainly enough room. But sanity will probably kick in and I'll realize that's not a great place for a tattoo.

You know who has a bad-ass Ironman tattoo? Tri Greyhound. His is on the upper-arm/shoulder. Unfortunately, I can't pull off that look. If I had an Ironman logo on my arm I would have to use a lowercase "m" to make it fit and it would lose something in the translation.

So basically the two remaining traditional locations are the ankle and the calf. The ankle is certainly more subtle, but maybe TOO subtle. I hardly ever go bare-footing, and call me vain but if I get a tattoo I want people to actually see it. Which leaves the calf. Then it's a question of which leg. If you get it on the right leg, when you pass people on the bike during a race, they will know they're being passed by an Ironman. If you get it on the left leg, when someone passes you they'll know they're passing an Ironman. I'm more of a passee than a passer, so I'm leaning towards the left leg. I don't mind people passing me, but I want them to respect me when they do!

Another huge decision is finding the right tattoo parlor to get the work done. That's incredibly scary, because how can you find a place you can trust that will be good and safe and clean? Surprisingly, I think I found the perfect place: Studio City Tattoo. (I'm hoping that any of my tri-teammates who work in licensing will look the other way if they visit the site.) It's 2.5 miles from work. I mean, seriously... this is the PERFECT place for me to go to, right?

I may very well chicken out. But for now, the plan is a green M-Dot on the left calf from a bunch of pirates.

7 Comments:

Blogger SWTrigal said...

I almost did in 2004 in Florida until I actually stepped foot into one of those places(I'm sorry something about the guys with no skin showing-only tatoos). I watched as 3 of my friends underwent the torture. My husband bought me some diamond Ironman bling instead..

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeahhhhh...

DON"T DO IT!!!

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh hell... do it! Why not? My only suggestion is this. If you call them up to make an appointment and they say "ah, just come in whenever..." FIND ANOTHER SHOP!!! Yes, it's a simple design, and any half skilled tattoo aritst could do it in their sleep. BUT, you want a kick ass artist to do the simple design. I wouldn't get tattooed by anyone that didn't have a month long waiting list. But that's just me.

Also, do something to make it your own! The green/blue combo is a good idea!

woo hoo!
-gerald

10:19 AM  
Blogger Andre said...

Try this place: http://www.zulutattoo.com/ my wife was a first timer and Zulu did an amazing job. I still have to get my done, maybe will do it together... How cute! As for placement I'm doing mine on my right calf right in the middle, that way every time I pass someone they can see, Oh shit that's an Ironman finisher... LOL
Cheers,
Iradoman

1:22 PM  
Blogger monica said...

hell. just look at the name of my blog. YOU KNOW I'M IN!!!

zulu is a great studio. so is spotlight tattoo on melrose. wherever you go, definitely check out the artist's portfolio. it may seem easy to do a simple logo, but look for CLEAN LINES and good proportions in their work. most likely they will scale a xerox of the logo and then transfer it onto wherever you want it and trace around it. they should suggest this. DON'T LET THEM FREEHAND IT!!!

1:03 AM  
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Wow, Monica's got some GREAT advice. I'm still thinking about my tattoo...

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got my first Tattoo and I love it!!! I went to Blue Geisha in Newport Beach, my guy was Michael. I did the right leg between the ankle and calf. He did an amazing job. Completely perfect lines identical to the logo. I did go with a very deep almost black border. He downloaded an image and traced it on my leg for my approval first. It took more time to prep than the actual tattoo itself. He did a couple lines first so I could get used to what it felt like and it really wasn't that bad. Go for it!!!! :)

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home