Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ironmoan

I'm starting to lose it.

I am tired and sore and hungry all the time. But the true stress of Ironman Training has little to do with the actual workouts; they suck but you go out and do them and go home and recover. Very simple. No, the big problem is that the rest of your life continues to move forward.

I was supposed to get my oil changed in March. When am I supposed to do that? Yes, I can certainly find an hour to take care of it. But I also need to find an hour to buy groceries. Or pick up birthday presents. Or vacuum. Pretty much every day after work I have to do one or two workouts. On the weekend, do you think I feel like sitting at Jiffy Lube after riding a bike for 5 or 6 hours? And if I DO have some free time, I feel guilty if I try to enjoy it. If I can afford to go to the movies, I can afford to do laps in the pool, right? I'm way behind on watching TV. I can't even play Grand Theft Auto. And God forbid somebody invites me to go out for dinner: "OK, we need to meet after 7:00 because I have to get my run in beforehand... but I have a real early ride to do in the morning so we better eat dinner early instead, then maybe I can my run on the treadmill after dinner..." And then I go to dinner, eat too much bread and get bloated and skip the treadmill run, which then makes me worried that I'm not stretched out enough for my longer run the next day.

I can do the workouts. I just feel this great sense of paralysis with the rest of my life. When I have some free (ie non-workout) time, I have too much to do and can't figure out what to do first and I wind up doing nothing. Which puts me behind with everything.

Something is going to snap. I suppose I should just be thankful if it isn't a tendon.

8 Comments:

Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Sort of a boot camp for time management.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

You and me both mike... you've just described the story of my life the last couple months... terrible isn't it?
-Ben

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, maybe this is why I'm the bad triathlete...

Here's my triathlon mantra... if it stops being fun, it ain't worth it.

Dude, take a day off!!! Devote a day to GTA, or your own auto, or whatever. I've seen you training, you could do the race tomorrow if you needed to!

You're still a fair ways out and giving your brain and body a break is probably a good thing!!!

Seriously, relax a little!!
-g

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, but you can't take off this Sunday because a group of us are swimming the Pier to Pier course...

you need to acclimate to the cold!
-g

9:42 AM  
Blogger ny said...

Just skip a workout once in a while! You're not a pro athlete so why the hell are you letting a triathlon stress you out. Do you remember why you got involved with triathlons in the first place - it wasn't to stress yourself out, it was to get outside and stay healthy and fit - and happy! Cutting 30 miles out of your bike or a 6 mile run every week isn't going to make THAT big of a difference in your fitness, but it WILL make a huge difference in day to day life.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

10:37 AM  
Blogger Andre said...

Man we go some serious relaxing to do!!! I subscripted to the Gerald philosophy, if ain't fun don't do it! Do you really think if you miss one or two or even three workouts it will make a difference? Guess what?? It doesn't!!! 99% of all IM finisher missed a workouts and they all finished, so enjoy the ride look at the ocean, or I-5... LOL and just realized how luck you're! Not too often one get to do an Ironman...

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ironmen change their own oil.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home