Friday, June 13, 2008

Fashion Faux Pas

I'll be the first to tell you I'm not a good dresser. I don't have much fashion sense. I know there are certain rules, I just don't know what the rules are. For example: Black socks. There is some rule about black socks. I don' know if it's "no black socks with white shoes" or "no black socks with white shorts" or whatever. However, I would wager to guess that one of the rules is "no black socks with speedos". Yet I still managed to violate the rule last night.

I ordered a pair of neoprene socks to wear in the 51-degree lake in Coeur d'Alene next week. Normally they would be worn with a wetsuit which I'm sure creates a seamless, elegant look perfect for any occasion. But I just wanted to test them out in the pool so there I was, socks and speedo. I will spare you any photos, but I looked something like this:



I put rubber bands around the top of the socks to simulate the pressure of the wetsuit, but i have to tell you, the socks made it difficult to swim. My legs felt very heavy and I could feel a lot of drag from the socks. They were sealed fairly tight at top so I don't think it was an issue of them collecting water, it's just the material itself around your foot creates drag.

I will bring them to Idaho and test them in the lake. But if it is at all possible to survive the swim without them, I would much rather barefoot-it.

7 Comments:

Blogger MamaMaven said...

Looks like a fashion statement to me :) I don't even like to sleep in socks, I can't imagine swimming in them! Hope its warm enough to go without!

6:47 PM  
Blogger SWTrigal said...

That picture is HILARIOUS!
I heard they slow you down too. I think the socks have more drag for me as well. Guess i will weigh the warmth vs. speed factor when I get there.
I see you have CDA water temp on your blog. Now I can just go to

9:02 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

With that kind of body structure, you can cruise right through the water :).

I heard about the swim head caps. I would get those. Have a blast on Sun!!!

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would try the swim without the socks in CDA to see if you bare it. just an opinion though.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait - you swim in a SPEEDO?!?

9:28 AM  
Blogger greyhound said...

I see no problem. That's a really good look for you.

**snickering behind hand**

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave the socks out. The amount of core body heat you will lose from your feet is much much less than the amount you will lose from your head. So buy yourself a thin 3mm neoprene swimmer's cap (the kind with a chinstrap) and wear that under your regular swimcap. This will keep you warmer without slowing you down.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home