Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Six-Pack

After a year of Ironman training, I finally have a six-pack. Steve gave it to me.



A six pack of Reeses Big Cup peanut butter cups. They absolutely terrify me. I do not deny myself candy, but I have tried to cut back a bit. So I will have a few Hershey's miniatures or mini peanut butter cups from someone's desk every day. But if I open the Big Cup bag, I'm a dead man. I have no will power. Once I start eating a bag of candy, I don't stop. I don't dare leave the bag at home where I am more vulnerable. Instead, it sits on my desk at work taunting me. (And don't think that hiding it in a drawer will help. You think I will somehow forget it's there?)

But here's something I don't understand about my training/diet. I'm not a complete idiot, I did not expect to lose a lot of weight this past year; I realize I didn't have too much to lose, but I figured I would replace some of my bad weight with good weight. And I KNOW those body-fat analyzers are terrible things and they give wildly inconsistent readings and you should never pay attention to them. But we do.

When I signed up for Coeur d'Alene, I was 152.5 pounds at 14% bodyfat.
Yesterday I was 149 pounds at 14.8% bodyfat.

How is it possible that I'm fatter now?! Hundreds of miles run. Thousands of miles biked. Hundreds of uneaten Oreos and chocolate bars and yet according to the numbers I'm in worse shape now than when I started. Now I'm depressed. I think I'll open up the Big Cups.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one of the Ironman Inner Scan scales and since this morning I have gained 4 lbs and lost 10.2% body fat. Totally impossible. I wouldn't worry about the scale. Good luck in CDA!
tammy

10:18 PM  
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

I agree with the comment above. If it's just one of those scales, it's not that accurate.

And is it bad if I want to lick your six-pack?

4:55 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

it's making me all warm and fuzzy inside to hear a man talk about not being able to resist candy. um, can i have your six-pack?

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home