Monday, October 20, 2008

How not to join a gym

I kinda embarrassed myself. But not much.

I went running at a gym. My feet have been really messed up lately and I thought the best thing for them (besides not running at all) would be to run on a soft, even treadmill. I had one of those "come try our gym free" passes so I gave it a try.

I don't like gyms. They make me feel uncomfortable, like I don't belong there. And I was even more self-conscious since this was my first time there and I was one of those cheapskates looking for a free workout. Fortunately, it wasn't too crowded. There were a couple of Rather Large Gentlemen walking (strutting) around which didn't help, but I found a treadmill off to the side where I could just do my thing quietly without drawing any attention to myself.

I was running for about 35 minutes (which is super-long for me on a treadmill; I get bored after about, oh, 3 minutes) and I thought I'd do a little interval. I put a buph song on the iPod ("Praise Him" by Fatboy Slim), hit the "Faster!" button a bunch of times and went for it. And I was feeling pretty good for about 60 seconds. Then all of a sudden the treadmill just stopped. Thankfully I didn't fall, but the thing just started beeping like crazy. "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP..." I hit every button I could find but couldn't get it to shut up. I had to go to the front desk and say "um, I kinda broke your machine." One of the trainers came over and couldn't get it to reset, so it wasn't just a minor bug. Not exactly the low-profile I was hoping for.

I know that treadmills break down all the time. But deep down, I like to think that I was running so fast on it that it just couldn't keep up with me.

5 Comments:

Blogger SWTrigal said...

I wanna do that! Break a treadmill cause i am flying so fast-bragger!
:)

6:15 AM  
Blogger Runner Leana said...

That would pretty well put me off the treadmill for life! I'm sure it must have been a case of it not being able to keep up with you!

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Treadmills not ironman rated.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Andre said...

but wait!! there are Ironman branded treadmills, the problem is they ONLY go up to 12 miles per hour and we all know that Wedgie can easily run fasters then 12 mph... right Wedgie?

3:46 PM  
Blogger Tina Marie Parker said...

It broke, becuase you should be outside! kidding, but I like the it couldn't keep up with me...

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home