Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Christmas Miracle! (not)

I've needed new running shoes pretty much since my Ironman in June. But of course the shoes I were running in have been discontinued and nobody has my size any more (even online). I've tried the "new and improved model" and it's just not the same. I've purchased 3 other pairs of shoes since then, all have caused great pain in my shins or ankles or elsewhere, and I've returned 2 pairs. (The third pair is OK for walking in.) So basically my best pair of running shoes are my worn-out Ironman shoes.

I was Christmas shopping tonight and swung into Nordstrom's of all places and there on the shelf I saw it:



My shoe! The Asics Kayona 14 Gel. It was a beautiful sight. I wasn't even worried about trying on a pair; I just told the guy "get me pair of these!" and I'll buy them.

He came back and told me "we don't have in in blue, only orange". Not a problem at all. But this is what he gave me:



Oh sure, it says "Asics Kayona 14 Gel" on it but it's not the same shoe. All of the support straps and cushioning points are in different places. The guy tried to tell me "well it's the same shoe, only newer." I have been down this road many times, and I know that 'this is the same shoe' is a euphemism for 'this will break your ankle'.

No new shoes for Wedgie this Christmas.

5 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I hate it when they "new and improve" a shoe that is perfectly fine the way it is.

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree... It seems shoe makers need to do an upgrade or change a shoe every year.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing the display shoes were not in your size?

2:14 PM  
Blogger Andre said...

Time to try Newtons.....
http://newtonrunning.com/

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at Nordstrom's in Vegas and saw the shoes there. I did not have my phone but I was with my brother who had his phone but did not have your number so he texted Michael Patrick (the only number he had of someone that knew you). OGMP texted back the next day so it was too late. Still - my brother could go back there for you if you want the shoes!!

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home