Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Turkey: The other dark meat

I've been trying to improve my diet. Specifically, eating more protein. For breakfast, I have a little bit of turkey every morning. You should know that am a very fussy... um... "particular" eater and I do eat turkey. But it must be plain. White meat. No gravy. No butter, no seasoning. My food is boring and that's the way I like it.

I have a standard routine: I buy a package of ground turkey, split it into small portions and freeze them in tin foil. I take a portion out every night to defrost. When I get up in the morning I turn on the oven and throw in the turkey (don't bother pre-heating.) By the time I am showered and dressed and ready to go to work the turkey is cooked. I bring it in the car with me and eat it right off of the tin foil. Most people would not consider this a tasty meal, but it works for me.

This morning I did my regular routine, but when I took the turkey out of the oven it looked funny, almost burnt. It didn't have that pasty-white, tasteless look that I strive for. I didn't think I took a long shower or anything like that so I couldn't figure out what went wrong. Then I realized: it was DARK meat turkey. I must have picked up the wrong package on my last trip to the store. What I don't understand is how can you tell if turkey is dark meat or white meat uncooked? Because it looked completely normal to me going in to the oven.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Wow, I like that routine! Smart guy...

Merry Christmas!!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Sounds good to me. Merry Holidays!!

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home