Sunday, March 15, 2009

Not Keeping Up With The Joneses

I learned an important lesson yesterday, and it may seem fairly obvious. Suppose you signed up for a long, difficult race with a group of people and started training with them. Now suppose you dropped out of the race, and therefore stopped the training as well. Several weeks later, you should not - and I can't stress this enough - you should NOT get up one morning and just think you can join the group for one of their training rides.

I think it's been 3 weeks since I've been on my bike and thought it was time I did another ride. The Oceanside Half-Ironman team had their ride and I went along. I don't know what they were thinking, but some reason they seemed to be doing a pace 2-3mph faster than what we usually do. It killed me. They wanted to finish the ride with some steep hill climbing and i just surrendered and went back to the car. I was wiped out for the rest of the day.

The scary thing is that these are some of the same people who I have to train for Ironman Wisconsin with. I ain't ready.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you & me both buddy... I'll be back on the bike the 2nd week of April and I'm sure I'll be hanging onto your wheel for dear life. Looking forward to getting started! (kind of)
-g

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home