Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ironman: Summary Overview

I learned an important lesson at Ironman Wisconsin, one that will save me lots of time and money in the future. As it turns out, I really enjoy BECOMING an Ironman, but I don't actually enjoy DOING Ironman. When I did Coeur d'Alene, even when I was sore and hurting I was always still excited to be a part of the race. In Wisconsin, when I was sore and hurting, I was just sore and hurting. There were many times throughout the day when I was just plain unhappy.

However, I really can't complain too much. By the numbers, I had an excellent race. A month ago I predicted a 15:15 finish, but I upgraded a bit. I told the people who were watching us I would finish in 14-15 hours, and I came in at 14:28. A 1:30 swim would have been a miracle swim for me and I did 1:33. 6:30 would have been an amazing bike and I did 6:37. 5:30 would have been a great run and I did... well I did more than 5:30 but overall my times were good.

There were some lows and some highs throughout the day and I'll be going over them all in the upcoming posts. But as a general overview, I told myself that if I had a great experience in Wisconsin I would update my tattoo to somehow commemorate the event; I think my tattoo is fine just the way it is.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Got it done!

And learned a valuable lesson, so a good use of the registration in a full race.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

congratulations on the huge PR! I was cheering for ya all day from my computer!

10:23 AM  
Blogger David Watson said...

Congratulations Mike. This is really awesome. I'm am continually amazed by you.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Pharmie said...

I had a really good friend tell me in training for my second IM that in your first one, having that title is enough to carry you to the finish, but in your second one, you have to dig MUCH deeper. I think it was good advice. Great job out there, and congrats on a PR!

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home