Thursday, April 15, 2010

I'm going to Kona! * GULP! *



Umm... yeah.... so we're freaking out a bit here. I "won" a Kona Lottery slot; I can race in Hawaii in October! The results were posted around 9am this morning, and when I signed in to my computer at work it was doing a bunch of software updates so I couldn't go online. So I picked up our iPad and checked the Ironman.com site and saw my name listed. And the funny thing is I didn't trust the iPad. I thought maybe I was using it wrong or something like that. I started losing my breath, my heart started pounding and my eyes were watering... but it didn't really sink in until I saw it on my "real" computer.

So what does this mean? Well naturally I'm taking the slot. Duh. I am currently signed up to do the Hawaii Half Iron in June, and I still plan on doing that. I have to complete a half-iron or greater distance within one year of Kona to qualify (Wisconsin was 13 months before Kona, so I don't think it counts.) Plus, it will either be good preparation to sample the actual race course, or it may just scare the bajeebus out of me. And besides, the Hawaii half is Gerald & Heather's Honeymoon, and how can you have a honeymoon without Wedgie?

I vowed no more hard summer training, but it seems like that's being thrown out the window. It's gonna be a long 6 months.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nelson said...

That's awesome/terrifying. See and you thought you would never get picked. Serves you right for thumbing your nose at the Ironman Gods.

I think you'll do great, and by great I mean better than me, and by better than me I don't mean much.

Either way it will make for an awesome story.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Paulie said...

Very cool! How many times have you entered the Ironman lottery?

12:59 PM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

This was my second time entering. I entered the lottery 2 or 3 years ago, then decided "it's all a big scam" and skipped last year. Not sure why I entered this time.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

excellent! As luck would have it, we have tickets to Kona to spectate already purchased, see you there!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Mike Weksler said...

Congrats! So very cool :-)

11:33 AM  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Congratulations!

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home