Sunday, August 07, 2011

Wiped Out

I have a strange job.

One of my responsibilities is to research emerging video platforms - all those devices that let you watch TV without a TV:  Smart phones, tablets, game consoles. So our department has a few Xbox systems in storage. When the Communications Group wanted to host a series of employee demos to promote the launch of the Wipeout Game for Xbox Kinect, they came to me.

For those not familiar, Kinect is a motion-capture system for Xbox. You use your body to control the game. You run, jump, duck, stretch... do everything in real life that you want your on-screen character to do. And Wipeout is the crazy, wildly popular obstacle course game show on ABC, home of the Big Red Balls (check local listings). 

Wipeout and Kinect are a great combination. And the game is a lot of fun. Over the past week, I hosted three 2-hour demos of the game. While the main purpose was to let other people try it out, I had to show them how the game worked. A lot. Which meant a lot of running in place, jumping, and stretching. Ths is pretty much the only exercise ive done over the past two weeks. And somehow in the process I managed to pull a hamstring. Yes, I have a videogame injury. Three days later, I am still sore. Every now and then I'll be walking along, minding my own business, when YEOW! My leg gives out and I'm in a lot of pain.

I would file a Worker's Comp claim but I'd be too embarrassed to explain the cause of my injury. I'm trying to find a Kinect: Rehab game to fix up my leg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home